28 February, 2013

It matters...in the ER


Relentless vomiting. Knee surgery, momma couldn't walk. Daddy, in Spain.

My daughter was severely dehydrated. Pale, barely responding, miserable, up all night and morning depleting her system of any and all good and bad things. The house was rank with nasty.

The siblings took charge. The oldest bleached, scrubbed and detoxified.

The second oldest kept the laundry running. All at 4:30 am

I sat helplessly by my daughters side as she was continuously ill, my leg not doing what I wanted it to do, crutches nearby.

The early dawn came. Time to go to Urgent Care. I just knew she wasn't right.

Within the first 3 minutes of the nurse walking in the room, she belittled each one of us.

To me, "You should have waken her up and given her her medicine!"

To my oldest: "Your 21 and still live at home?!"

To my sick one: "Who diagnosed your FM, are you sure you have it?"

Wow! It matters what you say!

Let's pretend we weren't all up all night. Let's pretend my daughter wasn't very sick. Let's pretend, just for the sake of it that we were just all horrible people....(I don't think we are:))

Well, we took the high road.

We asked her questions about herself, we were kind to her, even though we each felt burned.

She got nicer. Maybe she realized what she did. Maybe she had problems we didn't know about??

But remember, words can hurt. Your words matter.


Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24

No comments: